Jan 21, 2011

Black Bean And Salsa Stuffed Peppers

Red peppers were on sale! So I bought a bunch, gave some to my mom and decided it was time for some stuffed peppers. I am mostly vegetarian, although if I'm at a streak house I will always order a bloody steak. Hahaha. Anyways I've been in the mood for Mexican flavors lately and it all just came together. I had actually made these with out the cheese and although still very tasty, the cheese just makes it that much better. But for those vegans this is also a great recipe minus the cheese. So this vegetarian meal didn't win over my meat eating husband. That was before I made a nice piece of medium rare steak for his main and this was his carbs and vegetables on the side. There's always a way to accommodate him by adding some meat. I also cook my brown rice in beef stock instead of water for extra flavour. This meal is filling, low fat and full of fibre.

Things You Need:
3 large Red Peppers
1 cup of cooked brown rice 
1 cup of cooked corn
1 cup of chopped and lightly sauteed onions (white or green)
1/2 cup canned black beans drained and rinsed or fresh cooked
3/4 cup of hot salsa (or add 1/4 tsp cayenne if not hot)
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup of shredded cheddar 
1 cup of shredded cheddar
Salt and Pepper to taste


Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F 
Cut tops off of each red pepper and clean out insides.
Mix Brown rice, corn, onions, black beans, salsa, cumin, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheddar. Mix well.
Fill each bell pepper
Using the last 1 cup of shredded cheddar sprinkling over tops of each bell pepper. 
In your baking pan pour about 1/4 inch of water or less
Place bell peppers in and bake for 30 minutes


Black Bean and Cheese Stuffed Bell Peppers

No comments:

Post a Comment